Step by Step: Creating Products
Buy Now buttons and the Store UI
Presspoint lets you turn any page, post or event into an item for sale. You can attach a financial action to any page or post or turn on the Store UI. All financial items run through the Presspoint shopping cart and ecommerce system and are saved to the User’s history.
In this tutorial, we will set up Ecommerce, then add a Buy Now button to a page. Then we’ll turn on the Store and add a product.
How the Buy Now button works
Presspoint lets you add a Buy Now button to any page via the Ecommerce Settings (see below).
This appears as a “Financial Details” metabox on each page (or event, post, email etc.)
The Buy Now button isn’t turned on until you fill in the Financial Details section on the specific page, then paste the shortcode into the body of the page.
Setting up Ecommerce
From the Dashboard, go to Commerce then click the Settings icon. The important tabs are Site Settings Checkout and Gateways. The other tabs all have standard defaults: you can always visit and edit them later to turn on Inventory, Shipping, Digital downloads etc.
- You must state your site location and your currency preferences.
- “Add Commerce Abilities” determines which of your pages and posts gets the Financial Actions box.
Set your preference for Checkout security. If you select Secure HTTPS, then you must have a valid SSL certificate or your site will be flagged as a Phishing site and browsers will stop users from getting to the page. You can use “Simulated HTTPS” for testing.
Set your preferences for what types of payment you will accept. If you select Stripe or Paypal, you must click Configure and enter your account details.
We use “Allow Checks” for testing as there is no third party connection required.
Note: Recurring payments is not yet enabled. Coming soon!
Add a Buy Now Button to a page
Create the Button
- Turn on Ecommerce for Pages as shown above
- Go to any page, and scroll down to Financial Details box
- Select Purchase
- Under General settings, enter a price in Amount. Do NOT put in currency sign $
- If Inventory is enabled, you must put in some number or the system will think you’ve run out of product
- If Shipping and Downloads are enabled, then fill in details for those
- Variable pricing is for items that have variations within the product: for example T-shirt sizes. Each size has a variable name, price and its own inventory count.
- Instant payment sends the customer straight to checkout instead of reviewing the cart
- Donations just asks for money.
- The “Allow $0” gives customers the option of change the price during the Checkout phase (usually for donations)
Place the Button on the page
- Copy the short code from the Financial Details box and paste it anywhere in the body of the page*
- Optionally add pre-text and in-button text
- Save the page
*You can actually paste this shortcode anywhere on the site and it will work.
Enable the Store UI
By default, the Store is turned off.
Go to Dashboard >> Commerce >> Settings and click on the Store tab
- Turn on Store functionality
- Name your store. Note: This will change the URL of your store
- Configure your display preferences: Grid or List
IMPORTANT: If you rename your store, you MUST refresh your Permalinks by going to WordPress Nav >> Settings >> Permanlinks and clicking save.
Add products to your store
Store items are just like Pages, except that
- You have the option of making an item a featured item in your store.
- You can add a Store category to make finding products easier
Add some items
- Go to Dashboard >> Commerce >> Store Items or click Store Items from left Presspoint nav
- Add a featured image to appear in the Store view
- Add some categories
- Add Financial details same as above
- Select if this is featured item
- Save the item
Now go and look at your store!