Step by Step: Creating Smart Lists
User reports, queries, saved searches and Smart Lists.
The heart of Presspoint is its query engine and Smart Lists.
Use combinations of profile fields and activity history to create lists like “Top customers this month” or “Newsletter subscribers”.
In this tutorial, we will run a user report, filter by profile fields and user activity, then save that list as a dynamic Smart List.
Creating a User Report
Every query starts with the list of users on the system, then adding filters to get to the subgroup you want to work with
From the Presspoint left hand navigation, click “User Reports” or from the Dashboard, click “Run Report”. The system defaults to the last report run, so you may have to reset your filters to see all your customers.
- In the filter list, start typing “User Type”, then select “Is” and “Individual”. This will show all the individuals on the system
- Click the PLUS sign to the right of the search box to add another filter layer
- Add another profile filter, for example, “City”, and type a city name (BIG Brewery has people in Portland)
- Click the blue Search button.
You now have a list of all your users who live in Portland
Let’s drill down more, and add another parameter
- Add another profile parameter, for example “Preferred beer style” in the BIG Brewery demo site
- Select your filter, like “lager” in “Preferred beer styles”
- Click search again
You now have a list of all users who live in Portland AND like lager beers.
Adding User History as a Filter
In addition to profile fields, you can also filter by user activity such as purchases, submitted content, notes or emails.
- In the filter list, scroll down beyond profile fields to User Actions.
- Select the type of user action you wish to filter by, for example “Receipts and Invoices”
- Add filter parameters to find the group to want to act on, for example “Title = “mug”
You now have a list of all users who bought an item named “mug” with the count and value of the transactions summarized
- Adding a relative date is a powerful feature as it will allow the results to change over time “All sales within the past 30 days before today”
- You can also filter by type of purchase, payment status (complete, pending etc.), payment form (cash, credit card)
- Other actions have their own unique parameters to filter by
Saved Reports as a Smart List
You can save any query as a Saved Report, also known as a Smart List.
- Create your query and run it
- Give the search a name
- It will be added to the Saved Searches tab, and will also appear in your Directories Email and Content Restriction UIs as an available group to filter by
If you don’t see a profile field in the dropdown, it’s because it it not marked for Reports in the field preferences.
- Go to Dashboard >> Profiles & Forms >>Field Library, check the fields you want to add, then click click “Add to Report” from Bulk Actions and click Apply
If you don’t see an Action field in the dropdown, it’s because it’s not marked for Reports in User Actions
- Go to Dashboard >> Profiles & Forms >> Action Settings, then toggle the “Reports” column checkbox and save
For any profile filter, you can select “SHOW” to show whatever the result is in the results column without filtering it.
Increase results per page to if you don’t like pagination.
Match All means each criteria must be met, like a BOOLEAN “AND” Match Any means only one criteria must match, like a BOOLEAN “OR”
Searching Event attendees
The Activity “Event” refers to who created the event, not who is participating.
To get a list of all people attending an event, add a Receipts / invoice filter and search for the name of the event (ie: who has bought a ticket to the event)